Ingredients:70g Plain flour
5 Egg yolks
20g Caster sugar
60g Canola oil or corn oil
5g Matcha powder mix with 1 tbsp hot water
90g Caster sugar
10g Corn flour
5 Egg whites
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Sift flour twice. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add water and corn oil and blend together. Add flour and mix well with a hand whisk. Set aside.
- Make meringue ~ Combine sugar and corn flour. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add half the sugar and flour mixture and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and flour mixture and beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
- **Add one third of meringue to egg yolk mixture and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold to incorporate completely. Or you may slowly pour all the egg mixture into the meringue at low speed then stop machine. Using a rubber spatula and fold the mixture well.
- Take 1/4 of the plain batter and mix with the matcha paste together.
- Spoon plain and matcha batter alternately into an ungreased 21cm chiffon cake pan, till all the batters are used up. Gently shake and bang the pan on the table top to release air bubbles and use a chopstick to stir the batter gently to create swirl. Smooth the surface with a rubber spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 45- 50 minutes then switch oven to lower grill for 5 minutes.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and turn the pan over. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Once cake has cooled completely, carefully run a knife or spatula around the sides of the cake to loosen it.
Recipe source from: Anncoo Journal, thanks a lot Ann :)